Designed by world-renowned architect Phillip Johnston, The Wiley House truly is a piece of architectural history. Described as a 'modernist masterpiece' this 1952 New Canaan epic is the cousin to the nearby Glass House, also designed by Johnston.
With wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling windows comprising a huge amount of the property’s structure, natural light simply floods into the Wiley House from every possible angle. Illuminating the incredible modern furnishings and creating an undeniable sense of freshness, the atmosphere is one of tranquil sophistication.
One of the stars of New Canaan’s legacy of mid-century modernism, the Wiley House, designed by Philip Johnson in the early 1950’s, was restored by Roger Ferris + Partners. Johnson’s double-height glass pavilion with its living room and subtly hidden but generous galley kitchen cantilevers out over the fieldstone base. The vintage swimming pool with its original diving pad is a twin to the circular pool at Johnson’s Glass House. A new pool house built into the hill and the reconstructed barn/art gallery form their own separate courtyard. A stand of towering Hickory trees creates a cathedral space around the house.
What makes this Kobu?